Are We Educators in the World of Our Students?

There I stood with one of my student’s phones in my hand eight months ago (who I was helping that had trouble signing into Google Classroom; an iPhone 6s I believe); it buzzed, pinged and vibrated as text message, snap-chat, and other forms of electronic communication and social media came in every few seconds or so.  I then noticed she had a folder on her phone titled; “F*** IT!”  The student clearly was embarrassed by this, but I looked at it and busted out laughing to which she started laughing too (us Teachers have to take advantage of these relationship building moments you know).  I told her, I was there to fix her phone and unless it was illegal, not judge her on the contents (of course the teacher in me advised her that such words were beneath her). Anyway, I became transfixed at all the social media pouring in on her phone to the point it became a “eureka moment” for me.   It dawned on me; “This is the world my students live in and this is the world we need to be teaching in!”



That was the week I started my classes down the digital world of Google Classroom and other innovative practices.   I had recently decided (upon observation over the past few years) that the world of “textbooks and worksheets” was not where my students wanted to be (or should be).  That was the week I began to be opened up to a world of individual student empowerment through technology, Genius Hour, Project Based Learning and other avenues that would take my students from standardization to individual innovation. 

Comments

  1. William, it's getting harder and harder to know what world our students live in. Keeping good relationships with them will help us not fall too far behind, I hope! I count on my grandkids to help me, too! ;) Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right Joy! Fortunately, I have a 14 year old son who shows me a "thing or two."

      Delete
    2. I have a 15 year old son and am in the same boat! Those kids come in handy sometimes ;)

      Delete
  2. What a great story and excellent question! I worry sometimes that we are missing out on the incredible opportunities that technology affords us because we are either too frightened or too obstinate to jump in. Bravo, for not just jumping in, but for sharing your thoughts in this blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you...most of these kids have no one to guide them in the digital world!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My children are teenagers so I totally understand this. Technology is their lifeline but I was surprised by how many of my first graders had and used technology in their everyday lives!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I see so many young children on the devices; it’s the only world they know! I’ve seen so many technology changes in my life!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I Sucked At Doing School: Confessions of A High School Teacher Who Dropped Out of High School #IMMOOC

Relationships and collaboration are crucial to innovation, but what about working in isolation? Where does that come into play? #IMMOOC