I Sucked At Doing School: Confessions of A High School Teacher Who Dropped Out of High School #IMMOOC

First of all (to hopeful clear up any misconceptions and false perceptions), I am in no way knocking Educators that were good at "doing school."  You know; the ones who got all straight "A" were always on the Honor Roll and graduated Valedictorian and so on.  My early life would not have been nearly as hard if I had done all that (or at least graduated).   Now that I've (hopefully) cleared that up...


I was never good at doing "school" myself.  If I could get out of doing school work I would.  Homework was a terror at my house, especially math homework.  My dad would yell at me when I got a problem wrong (it was the 70s) and I got to the point where I would hide my homework (until my dad found out).  In middle school, I gave the teachers such a hard time, they started "passing me" just so they didn't have to deal with me the next year.  In High School my wicked ways caught up with me.  First I repeated the 9th grade, then after starting to repeat the 11th grade; I simply dropped out (I was over 18 and they couldn't make me go anymore).  Keep in mind; this was in the 60s, 70s, and early 80s when Standardized Tests were not used...most likely I would have dropped out earlier if they had been.  Fortunately, I had a dad who knew how to motivate me (some ways more positive than others as mentioned above) and a few years after dropping out he said I had to go into the military or "he would kick my out of the house."  I got my GED and did just that (US NAVY 1986-1991). 

Since I'm a big believer of not holding the past over me (or anyone else), but learning from it; what can a much older High School Teacher learn from a younger High School dropout version of himself?  In other words; why did school suck for me and what can I learn from that so it doesn't suck for one of my students?  Plenty!  As mentioned above; I'm not knocking Educators who were good at "doing school" but my past gives me many advantages in understanding students who currently "are not good at it."

It taught me relationships are everything about everything and classroom culture is important.  The reason many students are not successful at school is because many teachers are bad at relationship building and building a positive classroom culture.  I am currently study about relationship building and getting to know my students more than anything else.  I want everyone of my students (no matter how they treat me) to know that they are a winner and their past does not have to equal their future.

It taught me homework is useless and does not promote learning.  I NEVER had a pleasant homework experience in school.  I find it so refreshing many innovative educators can see this.  I personally believe many of the teachers who currently assign homework do so, because they were "good at doing school" and that is part of it.  I suppose it's part of my nature; but I DO question everything and based upon past experience and current observation and research; homework is a "no go" in my classroom

It taught me student inquired learning was the best form of learning.  During my Middle School years, teachers quickly discovered that if I was left alone with a set of Encyclopedias (the 1970s version of the internet); they didn't have to bother with me.  I would literally read them from cover to cover.  When I was around 14 (after getting in a lot of trouble), I was tested by the School's Psychologist; he said I had a 2nd year's College worth of information stored up in me.  He told my Parents, I was not doing my school work, because I was lazy (in reality, I was bored by it).  They did not understand, I did not want to "learn" what was forced upon me; I wanted to learn what I was curious about.  This is why I am so much into innovative education and having a growth mindset when it comes not just to education; but to life.  This is why I have gotten excited about things like "Genius Hour," "Project Based Learning," "opportunities like #IMMOOC" meeting innovative Educators and so on.  I'm always excited about the future, because to me; the best is yet to come!

Comments

  1. William, I think that is so very awesome that you're sharing this story. So often, I wonder what my own 7th graders will want to do when they grow up. So I get to KNOW them. I create relationships so they trust me to do what's best for them. I hope to spend their time wisely! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right Joy! Now I'm expanding my thinking into building relationships not only with my Students; but their family members as well. Thank you so much for inspiration! :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful story from the kind of learner with whom I love working/serving as a co-conspirator in the learning process. I suspect that many of us who have some level of success with our co-learners do so because we take the "innovative" approach of remembering what hindered our own learning, then doing our best to not inflict those experiences on our current co-conspirators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Correct; empathy is an under used tool in education. As I was discussing with another teacher today; "...but how will our students perceive it?"

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing your story. Like you, I was not a good student, but then, I went to school many, many years ago, and school was boring! I hope I create learning experiences for my students that are not only engaging, but interesting. I am doing passion projects for the first time and cannot believe how much "bang for my buck" I have gotten out of doing them. Thanks again for sharing this totally relatable story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only imagine how much of an impact you can make on students by just pointing out what school was like for you.... empathizing in such a way truly helps (if not at least make them question) the value of their experiences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Are We Educators in the World of Our Students?

Relationships and collaboration are crucial to innovation, but what about working in isolation? Where does that come into play? #IMMOOC